Aquawomen Sink B.C., 87-44

Crimson Takes Early Lead, Wins Easily

By Mark H. Doctoroff

The Crimson aquawomen, although hobbled by injuries and weakened by illness, still easily repulsed a feeble Boston College challenge, and swamped the Eagles 87-44 last night at B.C.

In contrast with the meets against B.U. and Maine, both of which were decided by the final relay, the Crimson didn't have anything to worry about for the last quarter of the meet.

After Norma Barton and Kathleen McCloskey finished one-two in the 100 yard butterfly, putting Harvard over the magic 66 point mark, the meet was all over. In fact, one anonymous team member asked, "Can't we go home now?"

Like the meets against Maine and B.U., last night's competition started a little ominously with the B.C. 400 yard medley relay team completely washing out the Crimson quartet of Katie Kelley, Gwen Knapp, Davis Wynne, and Cindy Phillips.

As it turned out, however, Coach Stephanie Walsh didn't really have anything to worry about, in spite of having to plan her line-up without co-captain Jane Fayer, and freshman Caroline Adams and Kathy Davis.

The Crimson immediately evened the score with Maureen Gildea and Dove Scherr finishing in the top two places in the 500 free.

School's Out

Gildea won the event with an unspectacular time (for her) of 5:15.15, and Scherr followed with a 5:32.96.

From that point, the score never really got close again, as the aquawomen won four of the next five events. Terri Frick won the 200 free in 2:09.91, and Janie Smith followed with one of her four wins, taking the 100 back in 1:05.83. Smith also won the 50 and 100 freestyle races, and was a member of the victorious 400 yard free relay team.

Pam Stone and Adriana Holy finished one-two in both the one and three meter diving events, with Stone amassing 242.95 points in the former and 227.00 points in the latter.

The aquawomen's overall performance confirmed the basic strengths and weaknesses of the squad. So far this year, Harvard has dominated the butterfly events, and last night was no exception, as Barton won both the 100 and 200 butterfly events.

Symptoms

At the same time, weaknesses in breaststroke showed up as strong as ever, with the strongest finisher any Crimson swimmer could muster being Gwen Knapp's third place finishes in both the 100 and 200.

One pleasant surprise for Coach Walsh was the performance of freshman Davis Wynne, who pulled a first in the 200 IM, and a second in the 200 fly.