Former Bolivian Chief Guevara Cites Increasing Militarism

Walter Guevara, the former President of Bolivia, last night blamed the increasing militarism of his countrymen for the coup that ousted him from power in November.

"Since the Second World War," he explained, "there has been a new military doctrine taught at the Academy in Panama. The young officers are taught that the enemy is within their own people, so weapons are now pointed inward."

Guevara argued that the military schools have been controlled by the American military who have indoctrinated Bolivian officers with the fear of Communist dissent from within. The result, he said, is that the army is no longer "in agreement with the people."

Hobson's Choice

Guevara offered three solutions "The army and the people must let each other alone, as they have done in Venezuela; Bolivia must re-educate the military establishment--although in reality this is too costly; or we will have to take the Costa Rican alternative, and have no army."

The Latin American Students' Association, the Committee for Latin American and Iberian Studies and the Center for International Affairs sponsored the speech which drew about 125 spectators.

The Kennedy Forum is Guevara's first stop on a three-week speaking tour which will take him to college audiences in Chicago, Wisconsin, Texas, New York and Washington, D.C.

Guevara was elected to the presidency in Bolivia in August as a result of a congressional stalemate.

When he began to institute economic reform, the military forces mobilized and seized the city of La Paz. Guevara explained.

Without support from either the Congress or the military establishment. Guevara was forced to go underground for 15 days until the rebels agreed to negotiate with what was left of his government.

"Those who staged the military coup are in power in the government. If it lasts, we have hope for an election in May, for a new President and for a new Congress. But it is difficult to say what will happen next in Bolivia; anything can happen." Guevara said