Horner Selects Members Of Portfolio Review Body

By James L. Tyson

President Horner is selecting the members of a new committee of students, alumnae and parents to advise the Radcliffe Board of Trustees on any problems the committee identifies in the Radcliffe investment portfolio.

"It is not a committee on South Africa," Horner said, adding it will deal with the more general issue of ethical shareholder responsibility.

Burton I. Wolfman, administrative dean of Radcliffe, said yesterday he believes the committee will offer the trustees an "independent perspective" on the moral and social implications of its investments.

Debbie Cohn '81, a member of the Undergraduate Committee on Harvard Shareholder Responsibility, said yesterday the new advisory committee will be ineffective in truly considering moral and social issues because its members are chosen undemocratically and because it does not represent the entire Radcliffe community.

Last month the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) unanimously called for the democratic election of all of the advisory committee's members.

Jennifer Levin '80, president of RUS, said yesterday that democratic elections would better ensure the expression of student opinion on Radcliffe's investments.

Horner said she opposed democratic election of the committee's members because such election would not ensure that the committee's members would be sufficiently qualified.

"No prejudgments on the committee's opinion have been made," Horner said, adding that the committee will not "be made up of just lawyers."

Horner said the committee will decide whether it will open its discussions to the Radcliffe community or announce its agenda publicly prior to each meeting--two proposed reforms for the Harvard Corporation's Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility (ACSR).

Students who want to be on the committee must submit by February 20 applications outlining their backgrounds and stating why they are interested in the advisory committee.

Jane C. Edmonds '73, the committee's chairman and a member of the Massachusetts Commission against discrimination, could not be reached for comment yesterday