Penn Racquetmen Dump Crimson, 6-3

ROUNDUP

By Tom Green

The Harvard varsity squash team continued its fall from "National Title hopeful" to "also-ran" Saturday by dropping a 6-3 decision to Pennsylvania on the Ringe courts in Philadelphia. The loss marks the first time a Crimson racquet squad has lost two league matches in a single season and sets Harvard's '78-'79 record back to 5-2.

The Crimson played Penn without the services of U.S. Singles champion Mike Desaulniers, who underwent foot surgery last Monday and is out for the rest of the year. The racquetmen's juggled line-up never stood a chance against the up-and-coming Quakers.

Playing at number one in place of Desaulniers, Harvard captain John Havens fell victim to the amazing Ned Edwards, an NCAA semi-finalist and winner of the prestigious Cowle tournament held last month in New York.

"Neddie really ripped me apart in the first two games." Havens said, "and then pulled out a close one in the third to take it--he stands a good chance at the National Singles tourney in Portland, Oregon."

The Quaker line-up followed Edwards' example by taking five of the remaining eight matches. Only number four player George Bell and seventh and eight men John Fishwick and John Heller managed victories for the Crimson.

Harvard hopes to get things rolling in its favor again when the squad faces MIT tonight a 7 p.m. in Hemenway gym.

"After back-to-back losses, everyone is really skied now." Havens said. "We may be out of the dual match title, but the six-man team champion is decided at the upcoming Intercollegiates and we'll be ready to play then," he added.