Women Cagers Feel the B.U. Terrier Bite; Hoopsters Suffer Sixth Setback, 66-50

The Harvard women's basketball team, which two years ago breezed by the dyslexic competition that Division Two offered, now finds life a little tougher and a lot more challenging in the big leagues.

Yet last night's decisive 66-50 setback to a talented Boston University squad at Case Center was only the sixth loss in 20 games this season for the women cagers, and (keep your wristbands crossed against Yale next Saturday) might very well be their last of the year.

"I guess you have to say that B.U. is a good team, but they're beatable," coach Carole Kleinfelder said after the game. "If we hadn't been so tentative with our shots it might have been a different story."

Cooking

Microwave shooting hampered Harvard throughout, as the Crimson shot less than 30 per cent from the floor throughout the contest. Elaine Holpuch led Harvard with 10 points (8 in the first half), while Gillian Raney scored eight in the second stanza.

But it was not the night for Curry, Carle, Meyers, or anyone else who normally takes command on the Harvard scorecard. The Terriers led from the outset and after a close first few minutes turned a 9-8 lead into a 33-19 margin.

Down 33-24 at halftime, (Sue Field came off the bench to put in two buckets at the last minute), the Crimson let B.U.'s Miss Inside, 5-ft. 11-in. Debra Miller, and Miss Outside, rainbow shooting Terry Shinwkin, destroy any chance of an upset. Continued poor shooting and turnovers gave the Terrierettes and early 12-2 run that made it 51-32 with 12:08 left.

Not the real thing

From then on it was garbage time. The squad travels to Southeastern Mass. this afternoon, where hopefully the garbagemen will be on strike.