Tracksters Out for Revenge at GBCs

Huskies Favored In Two-Day Meet

By Nell Scovell

After a not-so-relaxing three week recess, the Harvard track team will face six other colleges in the Greater Boston Championships starting tonight at 7:30 p.m. and continuing tomorrow at 2 p.m. in the ITT.

"We have just finished being challenged intellectually by exams, and now we'll see if something is left physically," coach Bill McCurdy said yesterday.

The Crimson's greatest challenge will come from Northeastern's Huskies--who captured the GBCs last year 14 points ahead of second-place Harvard--and who handed the Crimson its only loss in four meets this season.

The most exciting moment of Harvard's encounter with Northeastern on Jan. 13 came when Husky Brian Bickford blazed a 4:03.89 mile to barely edge out Harvard's John Murphy, who surely is looking for a rematch this evening. Also look for Buddy Bostick to be a contender in this race.

Most of the Crimson's overall strength lies in the distances and Ed Sheehan, Mark Meyer, and Peter Fitzsimmons should all give Husky Bob Flora, last year's second-place finisher in the two-mile, a run for his money.

Deep Trouble

Harvard freshman Adam Dixon, who surprised everyone at the N.U. meet when he notched first place in the 600, is recovering from bronchitis and may not be able to run, which leaves the Crimson relatively weak in that event.

The Crimson might encounter some problems doubling runners in the relays. "The meet will come down to a question of depth," McCurdy said. "Whichever team has the most people standing when it comes to the three relays will determine the meet," he added.

While the relay results are up in the air, a few events are already wrapped up--more or less.

Harvard's Geoff Stiles won the pole vault last year at 16 ft. and should have little problem repeating his performance. "Stiles is the class of the field," McCurdy said.

Husky Ron Chambers could give an instant replay of last year's first-place finishes in both the long and triple jumps--provided that Harrier Jeru "the bush kangaroo" Adu does not live up to his nickname.

In the 1000, last year's winner, Rodney Garland from B.U., returns to face challenges from Crimson Thad McNulty and John Chafee.

B.U.'s Tom Mahan may grab first honors in the hurdles, because he already holds the facility record in that event.

Harvard enters this meet at a disadvantage because of a relatively late final examination period. "We've had problems at practice because of exams," captain Geoff Stiles said yesterday. "It's understandable if we're not as prepared as the other teams," he added