Reply to Kuntsler

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The Crimson reported on February 20, 1979 that William Kunstler chastised me for "looking abroad for human rights fights instead of helping American victims of political oppression." He also said, "At the same time Dershowitz was pointing his finger at the Soviet Union for the Scharansky trial, that very week he said not a word when Joan Little was denied an attorney in Raleigh, North Carolina." Your reporter said that I could not be reached for comment. I would, however, like to comment on Mr. Kunstler's baseless charges.

Mr. Kunstler is surely aware that I helped to prepare the brief on behalf of Ms. Little's trial lawyer who was facing disciplinary proceedings for his role in Ms. Little's trial. I have repeatedly spoken out against the denial of counsel to Ms. Little and others. Mr. Kunstler also neglected to mention that I participated in the preparation of the brief in Kunstler's own appeal to the Seventh Circuit from his contempt conviction growing out of the "Chicago Seven" trial. He also knows that I have spoken out in behalf of the "Wilmington Ten," participated in the defense of Johnie Harris, and represented numerous other Americans charged with political crimes. Mr. Kunstler's well-known disregard for the facts is legion, but lest anyone forget, he is always there to remind us again.

It is Mr. Kunstler's own hypocrisy that is clearly demostrated by the record: it is he--who claims to be a universal defender of human rights--who has adamantly refused repeated requests to speak out on behalf of Anatoly Scharansky and other political prisoners of the Soviet Union and other socialist regimes. Alan M. Dershowitz   Professor of Law