Northeastern Tops GBC Field After One Day; Harvard Second With Track Events Still to Go

By Nell Scovell

The superior depth and strength of the Northeastern track team showed clearly last night, as the Huskies grabbed a commandanding lead over second place Harvard and five other colleges in the Greater Boston Track and Field Championships at the ITT.

Aided by three first place finishes in the six field events held yesterday, NU chalked up 33 points while Harvard notched 17 1/2. BC followed with 13 points, barely edging out BU at 12, and Tufts, MIT and Brandeis followed respectively.

Northeastern's Ron Chambers leaped 24-ft., 5 1/4-in. in the long jump to break the meet record that he set last year by 3/4 of an inch.

Chambers was unable to compete in the triple jump because of an injury and the "Bush Kangaroo," Jerv Adu, put the first place medal in his pouch. Second place honors in the triple jump went to the Crimson's Sola Mahoney who bounded 46-ft., 5 1/2-in. to establish a personal record.

BC came up with a big first and second placing in the high jump despite the effort of Harvard's Mike Young, who had to settle for third.

When the Huskies throw their weight around, they do it both literally and figuratively, as NU went one and two in the shot put and one and three in the 35-lb. weight throw.

Harvard senior Tom Lenz hurled the weight 56-ft., 9 1/2-in., to take second place in that event, making the NU weight men go on a temporary diet.

Chris Nicodemis and David Frim will represent Harvard in the 440; freshman marvel Adam Dixon will run the 600; John "Space Shot" Chafee and Tim Sellers will round out the 880; and John Murphy and Thad McNulty both qualified for the 1000.

"Murphy and McNulty looked so full of run, it was embarrassing," coach Bill McCurdy said after the semifinals of the 1000.

Action continues today at the ITT at 1 p.m., featuring the pole vault and the finals of the running events, and rest assured that NU is looking for its third consecutive Greater Boston Championships.