Women Icers Skate Past Bowdoin; 6-1

Huber Nets Three in Victory

By Jim Hershberg

The steadily improving women's ice hockey team steadily improved right past Bowdoin last night, posting a 6-1 win at Brown and Nichols Arena.

As usual the "Green Line," consisting of center Tania Huber and wingers Meg Streeter and Sara Fischer, supplied most of the offense. Huber notched her second hat-trick of the year and an assist, all in the first period, while Streeter tallied twice as the Crimson grabbed victory number five in its last seven outings (including an exhibition triumph over Concordia).

Harvard's regular season record, which fell to 1-4-1 at one point, now stands at 4-6-1.

"We're right where we want to be at this stage of the season." Joe Bertagna, coach of the squad, said after last night's contest.

"The team is definitely coming along," he added.

After the Green Line racked up a 4-1 lead in the opening period, assistant coach Brian Murphy replaced Bertagna behind the bench.

"The whole line forechecked extremely well--they forced opportunities and took advantage of them," Murphy said.

Team scoring leader Huber started things off only 45 seconds into the game with her tenth goal of the season, a wrist shot from about 20 feet out, then doubled Harvard's lead with a stuff shot four minutes later.

Up 2-0, Bertagna said, "the girls started getting lazy--we knew we were better at that point." Bowdoin took advantage of some sloppy passing to beat Crimson netminder Nelia Worsely (who stopped 10 of 11 shots on the night) to cut the margin to one.

But Huber completed her three-goal performance with 51 seconds remaining in the opening session, and Streeter converted a Fischer rebound to put the contest away.

Fischer recorded her fourth assist of the evening when Streeter scored again 2:55 into period two, and freshman defenseman Sue Yunick, off a Lauren Norton set-up, picked up her first of the season in the final frame to complete the scorecard.

LINE CHANGES: Yunick has replaced freshman Alice Hill on the Norton and Firkins Reed line. Hill had been out with a back injury.

Harvard's record in the Ivies is 1-1-1, and Saturday's game against Yale (4:30 p.m., Brown and Nichols Arena) will be crucial in determining the Crimson's position in the upcoming Ivy League Championship, to be held at Brown, February 23-25. Seedings for the tournament were scheduled to be decided last week, but have been delayed. Bertagna has two primary goals for the rest of the season--a strong performance in the tournament, and one more thing: "We're shooting for a winning record."