Greacen Qualifies for NCAA Diving

Schramm Falls Short; Teammate Hits at One Meter

By John S. Bruce

Senior Jamie Greacen guaranteed himself a spot in this spring's NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships with his one-meter diving performance at the regional qualifying meet held at Blodgett Pool Friday and Saturday.

The trip to nationals will be Greacen's fourth in four years. He and Harvard's seven swimming qualifiers will travel to Cleveland State University for the competition March 22-24.

Paul Steck, Cornell's three-time Eastern champion, won both the high and low board contests over the weekend.

But, as Greacen pointed out yesterday, "No one was too worried about who won, because everyone's goal was to finish in the top four." The four highest scorers in each event earned the right to compete in Cleveland.

Steve Schramm, the Crimson's other springboard superstar who is still recovering from head and shoulder injuries sustained in a diving accident February 28, barely missed qualifying in the low board. His score (446.52) was 1.63 points behind Mike Gurnee of Columbia's fourth-place total.

Schramm was in tenth place after five dives in that event, but his comeback bid in the 11-dive contest fell just short.

Greacen's position as a qualifier was never in doubt. He trailed Steck by only two points at the end of the preliminary round (five dives), and retained a ten-point cushion over the rest of the field to finish a solid second.

CRIMSON SPLASHES: Coach Joe Bernal's troops traveling to the shores of Lake Erie will be Harvard's strongest NCAA contingent in recent years. Barring a rash of illness or injury, their chances of improving upon last season's 15th place finish are bright.

LATE ARRIVALS: Due to the late return from beautiful Reno, Nev., of the women's swim team, The Crimson could not report the final results of this weekend's Small College Nationals. Full details will appear on Tuesday's sports page.