Club Max to Admit H-R Students Free

Officials Say Policy May Be Discriminatory

Club Max, a Boston discotheque, announced Tuesday that it will offer Harvard students free admission and transportation to its premises, despite a Boston Licensing Board (BLB) commissioner's investigation of a similar policy at Boston-Boston, another city disco.

Jon C. Straight, commissioner for the BLB, said yesterday he intends to question the legality of the admission policy on March 7--the same day Club Max intends to institute it--during Boston-Boston's property transfer hearing before the board.

Procrastination

Boston-Boston has already appeared before the BLB to discuss a proposed transfer of ownership, but must return to continue the hearing, which is required whenever the ownership of a liquor license changes.

Straight brought up the legitimacy of Boston-Boston's admission policy during the first hearing, Patrick T. Lyons, general manager of Boston-Boston, said yesterday.

"I feel that it is illegal and improper for any licensee to make exceptions in admission," Straight said, adding that he would consult with the BLB's attorney before the March 7 hearing on whether the present statutes prohibit Boston-Boston's admission policy.

Straight said if an admission policy which discriminates on the basis of which college a patron attends is illegal, he would consider calling Club Max before the BLB.

"A lot of Harvard students have helped my club through good times and bad times," George Nedder, general manager of Club Max, said Tuesday. "If I wanted to let the world in for nothing, why couldn't I?" he added.

Criticism

Christopher Sullivan, attorney for Boston-Boston, said yesterday he believes Boston-Boston's policy is not discriminatory. He added that he will prepare a memorandum of law to present at the March 7 hearing on the legality of Boston-Boston's policy.

Lyons said Boston-Boston drops the cover charge for Harvard-Radcliffe students because "It's our way of saying thank you for all the parties they've held here."

He added that in the past he has viewed his policy as legitimate but that he is currently discussing the matter with his attorney.

Gangbusters

Jeffrey Binder, general counsel of the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD), said Tuesday, "I guess it is discrimination, but the [public accommodations] statutes don't cover discrimination on the basis of which college you go to." He said that for this reason the MCAD does not have jurisdiction over the matter.

Club Max's new policy follows two years of free admission for Harvard-Radcliffe students at Boston-Boston. Club Max will also provide free transportation from Johnston Gate beginning on March 7.

Peter Lake '81 said Tuesday that friends of his often go to Boston-Boston because Harvard students with I.D.'s are not charged admission. He said that he would probably now try Club Max, adding. "If it's free, I'll go anywhere."