Dartmouth Frats

Students at Dartmouth College fraternities and sororities are limiting the size of parties, forming in-house discipline committees and improving their physical plants in order to convince the Dartmouth Board of Trustees not to abolish the fraternity and sorority system.

On November 6, Dartmouth faculty members voted to abolish the fraternity system and the trustees will make the final decision.

"Should the board of trustees become convinced that significant changes are not occurring, or that the rate of change has been unacceptably slow, the board will be prepared to vote on the abolition of the system of fraternities and sororities," a recent trustee release states.

David Kollmorgan, president of the Dartmouth Interfraternity Council, said this week "the faculty charges have caused the fraternities and sororities to take a close look at their role in the college and local community."

J.Michael McGrean, secretary of Dartmouth College, said this week he expects a positive alumni result to trustee requests. "It is widely recognized that the fraternity system is only part of the social life at Dartmouth," he added.