Horner: Around the World in 13 Days

VOYAGES

President Horner will leave the walls of the Radcliffe Yard behind tomorrow in favor of the Great Wall of China.

Horner's two-week excursion, as a member of a national policy panel sponsored by the United Nations Association of the U.S., is proceeding as scheduled despite the recent Chinese invasion of Vietnam.

"The situation there is very serious, but we don't foresee any danger," Horner said this week.

As an associate professor in Psychology and Social Relations, Horner said she will closely observe how the influx of Western values affects women in a developing country like China.

The 13-day whirlwind tour includes visits to Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong and Peking. Horner will meet with alumnae during her stopover in Japan.

Horner is a member of the panel's subcommittee on cultural and technological developments.

The panel consists of several leading academics, businessmen and government officials. The panel's project director, D. John Starr, said this week delegation members chose Horner because they wanted "as broad a range of opinions and backgrounds as possible."

Horner said she feels she is the "least expert" member of the panel. The delegation will release a report later this year, incorporating both statistical evidence and personal observation.

Several alumnae functions on the West Coast will delay Horner's return to Harvard until April Fool's day.