Tsongas Tells Cambridge Civic Association That Area Cities Have a Chance to Recover

By William E. McKibben

U.S. Senator Paul Tsongas (D-Mass.) told members of the Cambridge Civic Association (CCA) Friday night that the cities of Massachusetts can rebound from several decades of decay, but warned the federal government would likely give little help.

"Cities like Lowell, Fall River, Brockton--all the older cities--have the potential to come back," Tsongas told the crowd gathered for the CCA's annual meeting, adding that attracting high-technology industry was one key to the recovery.

Before Tsongas's speech, past CCA president Peter Lange said in a speech that the recently passed Harvard Square zoning restrictions were "only the first step in preserving what is one of our great resources," adding that Cambridge residents had to stop reacting to immediate threats and decide what we want the Square to look like in ten years."

Tsongas told the crowd that Congress, "in an effort to out-Jerry Brown Jerry Brown," would probably not pass major urban legislation in the coming session.

"Congress has its finger in the wind, and they're going to outdo the President in cutting back," he added, predicting a series of "mini-conflicts" over urban aid programs such as CETA (Comprehensive Employee Training Act), revenue-sharing and Urban Development and Assistance Grants (UDAG).

Despite the lack of federal help, Tsongas said that "there are plenty of happy stories in Massachusetts." He cited Quincy Market and the privately financed redevelopment of aging downtown Lowell as examples of communities doing it on their own."

"Clearly, though, there is still a problem," Tsongas said. He blamed city-dwellers for much of the urban decay. "In many communities, after decades of decline, there is an ingrained sense that if this is Lowell, it can't be good," he said, adding, "that is a problem all over the state."

Tsongas said in response to a question that the United States faced a major shortage of home heating oil as early as next winter, adding, we are in the last stage of an era when we can rationally consider" the energy problem.

"If one person freezes to death next winter, panic will set in," Tsongas said. He said he favored eventually switching to renewable energy sources and using conventional nuclear power, "at least to some extent," while the transition was being made.