Auspitz

ments. Walzer said such an appointment would be unlikely because Auspitz has never taught a course in either department.

Alison Dundes '81, a former student of Auspitz's who organized the letter-writing campaign, said yesterday that "Auspitz is one of the most popular instructors in Social Studies, and I can't understand why her colleagues aren't creating a fuss to hang on to her."

"Kate is a superb teacher, counselor, scholar--there are just so many reasons to keep her," Dundes added.

Louis P. Kaplan '81, another letter-writer and a student member of the Social Studies group that reviews committee faculty appointments, said yesterday. "Kate is one of the few people on the faculty who really cares about your ideas, about you as a person. She involves you with her life."

Auspitz said yesterday she was "very touched" by the student letters.

Robert L. Amdur, assistant professor and co-head tutor of Social Studies, said yesterday he agreed with the students that "it's an awful situation," but said Social Studies warns its faculty members when they are hired that it cannot offer them tenure.

"That's the way things are in the academic world." Amdur said, adding, "Most junior faculty begin their careers knowing they won't be able to stay on for very long."

The committee will hire two assistant professors for next year, one of whom will take Auspitz's place as head tutor. Walzer said.

"Once again we are in the dilemma of interviewing highly qualified people and having to tell them that we can only keep them on for eight years," he said.

The committee reviewed 320 applications for the positions, and should come to a decision within the next two weeks, he added.

Michael J. Donnelly, lecturer on Social Studies, is considered a likely candidate to succeed Auspitz, sources in Social Studies said yesterday.

Donnelly was unavailable for comment yesterday.