Batsmen Bag B.C. With 10-5 Drubbing

By Bill Schefi

THE HEIGHTS--This was really opening day in a lot of respects. There was the weather, a constant reminder to all that the baseball season begins a week too early. There were the fans, blow-dried guys, and the girls who all looked like nurses. There was a Good Humor truck in the parking lot, and the good-humor man himself. Larry Brown, on the mound for Harvard.

But it was no laughing matter for the Crimson, even though the team had a 10-5 win handed to them by an inept Boston College squad. The Eagle infield, which should team up with the "Three Stooges" outfield of MIT to form the utter defensive horror show, made three of the team's four errors and pushed across five unearned runs, better known as the margin of victory.

However, though the entertainment and the steady offense were there. Brown was not satisfied. "I'll be honest with you, we were flat going into the game today." Brown said afterwards. "I speak for the whole team, but I take the responsibility," he added.

Brown went on. "We came off a big sweep of Navy over the weekend, and then got that big win from (Jim) Keyte yesterday, and I guess we were just a little tired today. I know I was. But hey, the mark of the good team is that it can win the games it should never lose."

Brown's performance on the hill typified the second-gear showing of the Crimson. Brownie only pitched the first six innings ("I was just getting my work in. No way I was going the route."), and though the raised his record to 4-0, it was an uncharacteristically medicare outing. The senior captain gave up four runs on six hits, and got the side in order only twice.

You would think that the high-scoring, laid-buck affair would have affected Harvard's fielding, but coach Alex Nathigian's leather-slappers turned in their third errorless game in a row.

Also topping the good news list was the three-inning relief stint turned in by junior Rob Alewissos. Alewisos gave up B.C.'s final run in the seventh, but then teamed fastball with slider to retire the last seven men he faced.

"This is the first day since we've been up North that my slider has felt good. The cold weather gives it no break. But today I was relaxed. I wasn't rushing my motion, and it was working for me," said Alewisos, who hurled back-to-back shutouts in Florida last month.

The Crimson took the lead for keeps with four runs in the second. Freshman Dan Skaff, in his first varsity at but, walked with the bases louded to score Chuck Marshall with the first Harvard run. Second-baseman Bobby Kelley then broke out of his hard-luck batting slump with a single to right that Chuck Tillett's Albert DeSalvo hands turned into three RBIs and a 4-0 Harvard lead.

The Eagles had gotten their first run off Brown in the first on a double by Tillett, and added another in the third to pull within two but the batsmen put the "w" in drydock with two in the fourth and three in the sixth.

Brown was careful to note that the relapse will one be temporary. "We were off today, but with Maine this Friday and Penn and Columbia the weekend after this is the only slump we can afford," he said.

THE NOTEBOOK: The Crimson laces eastern power Maine on Friday afternoon at Soldiers Field...Brown is calling next Friday's game with Eastern leader Penn (5-0). "The biggest game of the year for us." Penn's great start is helped by its cream-puff league schedule, which only calls for single games against EIBL standouts Navy. Cornell, and Harvard. Brown will most likely work five innings against Tufts next Monday to get ready for the April 20 showdown. at BOST ON COLLEGE HARVARD  AB  R  H  B Kelley 2b  5  0  2  3 Santos Buch dh  3  0  1  0 Bolwes, pr  0  1  0  0 Tilles, dh  1  1  1  0 Stenhouse, rf  5  1  1  0 Bingham, lb  4  0  3  1 Marshall, c  3  2  0  1 Peccerillo, rf  4  0  0  1 Pearce, 3b  5  1  0  0 St. John s  3  2  2  0 Steff, cf  2  2  1  1 Blood, cf  1  0  0  0 Totals BOSTON COLLEGE  AB  R  H  B Follen, cf  2  3  1  1 Craft, 1f  2  0  0  0 Landry 2b  2  0  1  0 Tilett, rf  4  1  3  1 Stewart, lb  4  0  1  1 Cooper, dh  3  0  0  0 Dachos, c  4  1  1  0 Caffrey, 3b  4  1  2  2 Mitchell, 2b  2  0  0  0 Johnson, s6  2  0  0  0 Mayock s6-1f  3  0  0  0 Totals  32  5  9  5 Harvard (10-6)  040  203  001  1011 0 Boston College  101  011  100  594

E--Tilett Johnson Caffrey Stewart DP--B.C. 2, Harvard 1, LOB--B.C. 6 Harvard 16 2B--Tillet (2). Tilles Dachos HR--Follen. SB--Pearce Caffrey S--Craft Peccerillo. Santos-Buch SF--Mayock