Laxmen Crunch Eagles, 22-8, As Predun Leads Run Away

By Panos P. Constantinides

It was some of those games that players ways love to be in. It was a game where a am could pad its statistics, and where dividuals could shine. It was quite simply a run away.

If the Harvard men's lacrosse team cruised to an 8-1 first quarter lead behind good defense and excellent teamwork and sailed on to defeat Boston College last night. 22-8 at Alumni Stadium in Chestnut Hill.

Harvard drew first blood early, as junior sensation Pete Predun scored the first of these goals on a pretty dodger play with only 45 seconds gone in the first quarter.

For the rest of the evening, the Crimson peppened Eagle netminder Peter Columbo with 49 shots, as what can only be described as a porous Eagle defense continually allowed the Crimson attenders to get in close for easy shots.

The laxmen took advantage of the poor defense and B.C. errors with good stick-work and clearing, racking up a 14-2 lead by halftime.

"Kenny First did a terrific job catching the ball in goal tonight and breaking it out quickly to the middies," head coach Bob Sealise said in appraising the number of goals his team notched.

In the nicest play of the night. First grabbed an errant Eagle shot and quickly hit a streaking Dave Wigglesworth with a bomb over the middle that would have made Steve Grogan envious. Wigglesworth quickly shuffled it off to a waiting Mike Faught who whizzed it by a blinking Colombo into the goal for the fourteenth in a seemingly endless series of Harvard tallies.

Sealise substituted liberally during the second half but could not prevent his regulars from beeting up their point totals.

After a quick B.C. tally, Predun opened the second half scoring for the Crimson with his fourth goal thirty seconds into the stanza. Minutes later Norman Forbush home goal, five assists) hit brother Bill from behind the net to give the Crimson a 16-3 lead. Forty seconds later the same combination scored again to make it 17.

"We weren't expecting a real tough game from them, but we still wanted to play well." Sealise said afterwards. The fifth-year mentor added that his team "adjusted well playing on different units" in the absence of Jamie Egasti, who was both nursing a sore throat and recovering from the beating he took in last Saturday's war with Penn.

Predun led the Crimson point parade with five goals and five assists on the night. Bill Forbush netted five goals and brother Norman added a goal and five assists. Senior scoring leader Mike Faught popped in four goals and added an assist, while Mike Ward and Gordie Nelson notched three and two goals respectively. Dave Wigglesworth and Terry Trusty each scored one goal apiece to round out the Harvard scoring.

The win raises the laxmen's record to 4-2 for the year. They will face a tough Brown team at home on Saturday.