If Your Number Comes Up

HOUSING

By Nancy F. Bauer

The Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) sub-committee on house systems may well decide to call on a plastic surgeon soon--it seems it may be time the freshman housing lottery had a face lift.

In the annual presentation of lottery results to CHUL last Monday, Thomas A. Dingman '67, assistant dean of the College, mentioned several possibilities for revamping the assignment process, including a committee to exempt students from the lottery for reasons that promise to be controversial such as, "lineage factors" and "a need for proximity to University facilities."

Dingman said Thursday that his suggestion for having students help sort lottery cards will definitely go into effect next year if the assignment process is not completely automated.

Other possibilities for reform include the abolition of the current 2.5 to one male-female "ceiling ration," publication of lottery numbers, and the elimination of biographical material from housing applications.

No matter how the subcommittee decided to act on the suggestions, one thing is certain: members of the Class of '83 will receive a detailed description of exactly how the lottery will be run.

The impetus for modifications in the lottery system stems from recent reports indicating that the lottery is not run entirely by computer.

But what seems to matter to freshmen is not the way the lottery is run, but rather that the University appears to have misled them.