Rhodesians Attack Zambia; Nkomo Kidnapping Raid Fails

LUSAKA, Zambia--Rhodesian commandos disguised as Zambian troops attacked the home of black guerrilla leader Joshua Nkomo in a predawn raid yesterday. Nkomo, who escaped unharmed, called the attack a kidnap attempt.

The raiders reportedly entered Lusaka, the Zambian capital, in trucks bearing Zambian army colors. Sources report ten guerrilla guards and three riders killed during the attack. Witnesses said most of the attackers were black.

Costume Party

Another group of Rhodesian commandos dressed as local soldiers destroyed a ferry in Botswana. The ferry crossed the Zambesi river where Botswana, Zambia and Rhodesia meet.

Rhodesian officials have confirmed both raids but declined to provide details.

"Our boys did a good job although they were outnumbered," Nkomo said yesterday, adding, "We shall fight with the Patriotic Front who are our friends until independence." The Mozambique-based Patriotic Front is in alliance with Nkomo's forces.

Zambia and Botswana border Rhodesia on the north and west and harbor guerillas who have recently threatened to disrupt Rhodesian elections scheduled three days from today.

The elections will pick the first black-majority Parliament in Rhodesian history. Whites, however, will retain significant constitutional and military control in the government, observers say.

Rhodesian Bishop Abel Muzorewa, whose Black United African National Council is expected to win the upcoming elections, defended the raids.

Murozewa said yesterday he was not told of the raid in advance. He added. "The security forces work on whatever information they have, and they have been given the task of defending the nation."