Taking a Second Look

GIFTS

By Susan K. Brown

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, the old saying goes.

But this week, the ad hoe Committee on Gifts to the Kennedy School of Government released a draft statement on a proposed policy to do just that -- to review gifts and names of faculties for the school.

The student-faculty committee suggested the K-School investigate the sources of the gift, the public record of the donor, the donor's motives for making the gift and stipulations attached to the gift, and any benefits from the gift.

The report also asked the K-School to investigate the background and societal contribution of a donor whose name may be attached to a gift.

Facilities should be named only after persons of international or national stature whose accomplishments are widely acknowledged, distinguished faculty of staff members or University graduates, "exemplary public servants," or persons with a strong demonstrated commitment to advancing the goals of the Kennedy School, the report said.

If Harvard officials had used these guidelines, they probably would not have named the public affairs library after Charles W. Engelhard, the committee said.