Ex-Dean of Business School Dies in Hyannis at Age 83

Donald K. David, dean of the Business School from 1942-1955, died Friday at Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis at the age of 83.

David, born in Moscow, Idaho, received his M.B.A. from the Business School in 1920 and was named assistant dean that year.

In addition to his posts at the Business School, David served as a director of the Ford Motor Company as well as a trustee of both the Ford Foundation and the Rockefeller Institute. Following his retirement from Harvard in 1955, David served as vice chairman of the board of the Ford Foundation.

Myles L. Mace, professor of business administration emeritus, said yesterday, "Dean David combined the experience of a business executive with the attributes of a scholar."

"He did a superlative job of translating the values of the Business School to business leaders such as Henry Ford and Mr. Rockefeller," Mace added.

While an assistant professor of marketing, David was a pioneer in teaching retailing distribution, Malcolm P. McNair, retired Filene Professor of Retailing Emeritus, said yesterday.

David's concern for younger members of the faculty and students was "outstanding." Henry B. Arthur, Moffett professor of Agriculture and Business Emeritus, said. Arthur added, "He gave his teaching a liveliness, humanity and personal devotion that was contagious in the faculty."

David is survived by his wife, Elizabeth S. David, a son and six grandchildren.

Funeral services will take place at 11 a.m. today at the South Congregational Church in Centerville, Mass.

Family members will notify the office of the Dean of the Business School later this week about a Harvard Memorial Service.