Recession Could Delay Social Security Payments

WASHINGTON D.C.--Trustees of the Social Security system said yesterday a recession this year could jeopardize the system's ability to pay retirement benefits on time beginning in 1983.

The trustees also cautioned that the system's financing is still precarious even though newly-increased Social Security payroll taxes cannot be reduced unless Congress is also willing either to reduce benefits or to tap other sources of revenue.

In their annual report on the health of the insurance system, which provides benefits for retirees, survivors and the disabled, the trustees said Social Security could face problems in paying retirement benefits starting in 1983 if the nation falls into a recession this year.

The problem would clear up by 1992 because of the higher payroli taxes taking effect automatically through the 1980s, they said. The system, however, cannot afford a cut in those tax increases, enacted by Congress in 1977 to keep the system solvent.

Social Security will pay more than $101 billion to 35 million Americans this year. The trustees' report assumes that beneficiaries will get a 9.8-per-cent cost-of-living increase this July that will cost the government $10 billion.

The exact amount of the increase will not be known until April 26, when the Labor Department releases the Consumer Price Index for March.

Recommended Articles

When We're 65
S ocial Security, the program for the elderly enacted during the Great Depression, is widely regarded as America's most popular
Middle Class on the Dole II
E VER since Barry M. Goldwater campaigned against Social Security in 1964 and lost in a 44-state landslide, America's largest
University Staff May Enter Social Security Program
Over 9,000 permanent and temporary University staff members will come under Social Security January 1, if a two-third majority favors
FOCUS: The Case Against Private Accounts
By WILLIAM D. NOVELLI H.L. Mencken, once observed, “There is always an easy solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and
FOCUS: In the End, It’s About Ownership
As the debate over Social Security reform has unfolded over the past few months, there has been much discussion about
For Better Game, Athletes Try Yoga
Athletes may not be turning in their rackets and oars for spandex and yoga mats just yet, but an increasing