Nuclear Appointee Draws Criticism From Legislator

By John R. Gennari

The head of a legislative energy committee yesterday criticized the appointment of Richard Wilson, professor of Physics, to a state panel that will study the implications for Massachusetts of the Three Mile Island nuclear plant accident.

Gov. Edward J. King earlier this week named Wilson to the independent committee.

State Rep. Richard P. Roche, co-chairman of the state energy development caucus, said yesterday, "I am not sure Wilson will act objectively in this matter."

Roche cited an articled by Wilson, entitled "Staying Alive Is a Risky Business," that appeared in the Boston Globe on March 4, as the reason for his reservations. In the article, Wilson stated there are many radiation hazards more dangerous than nuclear power plants, including X-rays and certain commercial materials.

Roche added that he will not contest Wilson's appointment, but "will look with a critical eye at the panel's efforts."

Wilson, who has conducted recent studies on the health effects of different energy sources, said yesterday his knowledge of the medical data concerning the effect of radiation justifies his appointment.

"Even though I've said there are other things more dangerous than nuclear power plants, I know that it can go the other way very quickly," he said.

Paul J. Cahill, deputy director of the state civil defense agency, said yesterday the panel will work in conjunction with members of the governor's cabinet to:

* Review the existing state emergency plan in case of an accident at the nuclear power plants in Rowe, Plymouth, and Vernon, Vt.;

* Explore the possibility of establishing a communications network that would operate in case of a nuclear accident; and,

* Attempt to collaborate with nuclear agencies in neighboring states.

Wilson said yesterday, "In the Three Mile Island case, Pennsylvania declared a state of emergency without first considering how they were going to alleviate it. Massachusetts should be able to do better than that."