Three '69 Alumni Call for Divestiture

Urge Classmates Not to Contribute to Harvard

By James L. Tyson

Before their reunion this June members of the class of '69 will receive a letter from three classmates--including two University faculty members--urging them not to contribute to Harvard until the University publicly supports corporate withdrawal from South Africa and takes steps toward divesting of its South Africa related investments.

The letter states that "because of Harvard's prestige and influence" divestiture "would contribute significantly to the mounting pressure on U.S. corporations to withdraw, thus helping to expedite the end of apartheid and the beginning of majority rule in South Africa."

The letter urges class members to refuse to contribute to Harvard and to to instead contribute to "organizations which further the struggle for racial justice in South Africa and in the United States."

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, said yesterday he does not "believe the University will be adversely affected by such action."

The 35-page letter cites common questions surrounding divestiture, then answers these questions in a way supporting divestiture.

Neil I. Koblitz '69, Picrce Lecturer on Mathematics and one of the writers of the alumni letter, said yesterday he believes "the letter will be a form of pressure to encourage Harvard to have an effective role in the anti-apartheid movement and to encourage others to do the same."

Koblitz said he believes the letter will also be constructive in encouraging alumni to aid financially the International Defense and Aid Fund for Southern Africa, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, Phillips Brooks House and other organizations of this nature.

Luther M. Ragin '76, a second year student at the Law School who wrote the letter with the three members of the Class of '69 said yesterday the letter is designed to "provide a comprehensive reply to Bok's statement on divestiture" issued April 6.

In Bok's open statement he said that divestiture is unjustifiable because it is "legally questionable, widely disputed on its merits, and very likely to prove ineffective in achieving its objectives."

Koblitz said the letter will be sent to members of the Class of '69 with information on the reunion, a statement from those who oppose divestiture and possibly Bok's open statement on divestiture.

Robert E. Kaufman '62, associate dean for finance and administration, said he believes the letter "is a continuation of the strong feelings that existed in the class in 1969."

Wesley E. Profit '69, instructor in psychology at the McLEAN Hospital and another author of the letter, said yesterday the current dissatisfaction with Harvard's policy toward its South Africa related investments "shows that the University hasn't learned anything in the last ten years."