Trackwomen Place Fourth at All-Ivies

Johnson, Amble Set University Marks

As Jimmy Myers would say, when you got the horses, you got the horses. "We didn't have the depth or the strength to go with the likes of Princeton, Brown and Cornell," women's track coach Pappy Hunt said yesterday, after his team's fourth-place finish at the All-Ivies, Saturday at Brown.

The Crimson's 72 points put the women behind Princeton (142 points), Brown (120) and Cornell (88). "We're a good dual meet team; but at a meet like this depth becomes more important, and you get oddball teams scoring in oddball events--which takes points away from us." Hunt said.

Dartmouth qualifies as an oddball for, among other things, having a tremendous field contingent but no strength in the running events. An enormous Green woman ran away with the shot put, heaving the heavy metal 45 feet, 2 inches. Harvard's Kim Johnson finished a strong second with a toss just four inches short of the winning mark, but good enough for eight Crimson points. Johnson also hurled the discus 109 feet, good for fourth place in that event.

Sue Harper was the biggest point-getter for Harvard, as she accounted for 17 tallies with seconds in the 100-and 400-meter hurdles and a fourth in the long jump.

The Crimson came closest to victory in the two-mile relay, as the team of Sarah Linsley, Martha Clabby, Kat Taylor and Leanne Rozelle trailed the Tigers at the tape by five yards.

"We had a big lead going into the last leg, but Princeton threw its best half miler at us for the final stretch." Hunt said.

The trackster's weakest link was the sprint events, which were dominated by Brown. A lack of depth here kept the Crimson qualifying a single competitor in the 100-and 200-meter dashes.

Two University records fell on Saturday, as Johnson's shotput ("it was a very fine throw." Hunt said) broke one mark and Karla Amble covered the 1500 meters inhher event in 4:57 for the second.

"On the whole, I can't complain about this one." Hunt said. "It was just about like we expected."