Whitlock Halts 'Tommy' Debut

Charles P. Whitlock, associate dean of the Faculty and Master of Dudley House, yesterday tentatively cancelled the Currier House Dramatic Society's production of "Tommy," scheduled to open Thursday at Dudley House.

Whitlock said the size of the stage for "Tommy" exceeds limits he and the company set in writing on March 6.

He added that the stage reduces the size of the dining hall by 40 per cent or more.

Dudley House students began Sunday afternoon to dismantle the stage which the "Tommy" crew built on Saturday, Scott Van Duyne '79, a member of Dudley House, said yesterday.

The company can reapply for use of the Dudley House dining hall, find a new location, or cancel the production altogether.

Whitlock said the show could reapply in time for the scheduled opening night of April 26.

Steven J. Drury '77, director of "Tommy," said yesterday he and Whitlock agreed the stage should not exceed the size of the stage for "The Misanthrope"--produced at Dudley House earlier this year.

Drury said the "Tommy" stage is only two or three feet wider than the "Misanthrope" stage.

He added that he thought Whitlock handled the situation "unreasonably" because he cancelled the show and then said it could reapply for use of the hall.

Drury said he does not know whether he will search for a new home for "Tommy."

"There will be a show, though I can't tell you where, when or how," he added.

Recommended Articles

Exhibit in Square Shows University's Future Plans
Visitors to the former Billings and Stover drug store on Massachusetts Avenue are having a chance to see some informed
Whitlock Discusses Successor For House Master von Stade
Dean Whitlock met with the Mather House Council last night to begin the procedure of choosing a new master for
Whitlock to Replace Mayer As Dudley House Master
Charles P. Whitlock, who will become associate dean of the Faculty in July, will replace Jean Mayer, professor of Nutrition,
Undergraduates to Leave 29 Garden St; Some to Move to Canaday Next Year
No undergraduates will be housed at 29 Garden St. next year, Dean Whitlock announced yesterday. The 37 South House residents
Dudley to Utilize Ford Grant for Scholarship
A $750 scholarship for foreign study will be available this summer to a member of Dudley House, Charles P. Whitlock,
Whitlock Names Senior Tutors At Currier, South and Adams
Daniel T. Orlovsky '68 and Richard W. Gula '71 will be the new senior tutors at Currier House and South