Heavies To Open Season In San Diego

By Jeffrey R. Toobin

The Harvard heavyweight crew opens its 1979 season today at the San Diego Crew Classic where Harry Parker's oarsmen begin their battle to regain supremacy after a disappointing 1978 campaign.

Yale, which vanquished the Crimson in the 1978 Eastern Sprint Finals, will not make the trip to the coast, but every other sprint finalist will row there, plus Washington, last year's San Diego winner, and the University of California.

Northeastern, which has one of the fastest growing crew programs in the nation, Brown, winners of the 1978 Head of the Charles, and Syracuse, victors at Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships, as well as Washington, rate as favorites in today's 2000-meter race.

Harvard opened its season last year with a fourth place finish in the San Diego Classic and went on to lose two more races on the season. The last time the Harvard heavies lost three races was 1962.

Parker said earlier this year he expected stronger opposition rather than an easy return to preeminence for the Crimson. "We're anticipating quite a number of real strong crews this spring, and I'm concerned about what we can do," Parker said.

But the laconic Parker may have painted too desolate a picture. Senior captain and Porcellian prexy Gordie Gardiner, returning to the stroke position after a year at number two, and other third-year men Warren Perkins, at number two, and Paul Templeton at the bow, should provide a sound nucleus for the Harvard eight.

Extra-large Charlie Altekruse, a junior, is the only other varsity returnee, but seniors Hap Porter and Tim McGee, veterans of the 1978 Sprint champion junior varsity, stand to help the team.

John MacEachern and Jay Smith are the only sophomores who rowed on last year's Sprint championship boat to crack this year's varsity eight.

Parker settled the lineup during the grueling "seat racing" over spring break. In "seat racing," the coach timed his oarsmen in various combinations until he found the eight that worked together best.

Navy will also row in the San Diego race. The Midshipmen shocked the Crimson last year with a 6.3 second win in a 2.5 mile battle. Navy has six of its varsity eight returning, so the Middies stand to figure in this weekend's action.

Parker touts Brown and Syracuse as other pretenders to Yale's eastern throne and the coach said the Bruins and the Orangemen stand a chance in the coast race. Brown will field a formidable front in its growing crew program, and its seven returning boatsmen should figure near the top of today's race. Syracuse as well lost few rowers to graduation and could threaten Washington's title.

An early thaw allowed Harvard and other crews in the northeast to get an early start practicing out of the indoor tanks and in the rivers. So quick times could be the rule in San Diego where the Crimson can expect a rough ride on its trek back to supremacy.

Harvard Heavies

cox Harry You '79

8 Gordie Gardner '79

7 John MacEachern '79

6 Warren Perkins '79

5 Hap Parker '79

4 Charlie Altekruse '80

3 Jay Smith '81

2 Tim McGee '79

1 Paul Templeton '79

Harvard Lights

cox Peter Cordeiro '79

8 Jeff Brown '79

7 Pasha Lakhdhira '80

6 Mark Smith '79

5 Jeff MacMillan '81

4 Kevin Gaut '80

3 Mark Worrell '80

2 Michael Cominsky '80

1 Randy Vagelos '79

Radcliffe Heavies

cox Lizellen LaFollette '79

8 Cynthia Strong '79

7 Ann Benton '81

6 Therese Nunoz '81

5 Tory Laughlin '82

4 Jennifer Stone '80

3 Becky Goff '79

2 Kelly Ronan '80

1 Nelia Worsley '79

Radcliffe Lights

cox Susie Peterson '79

8 Janice Nevin '81

7 Maria D'innocenzo '80

6 Kristen Lane '79

5 Paula McCree '80

4 Marty Fwnemore '81

3 Kathy Kirk '80

2 Annette Jessel '81

1 Nicki Mauro '81