Official Seeks Warning of Pesticide Use

Says B&G Sprays Without Notice

By Burton F. Jablin

An official in the University Health Services (UHS) said yesterday the Department of Buildings and Grounds (B&G) should warn members of the Harvard community before spraying the pesticide malathon on elm trees around campus.

Louis J. DiBerardinis, industrial hygienist at UHS's office of Environmental Health and Safety, said although the chemical is not dangerous to humans when used in open areas, "people should be notified it is being used." He said the pesticide can act as a depressant on the central nervous system, causing fatigue, nausea and headaches.

"By nature these things are supposed to kill, so to say they are non-toxic is untrue." DiBerardinis said. He added that malathion is one of the least toxic pesticides available.

Charles P. Whitlock, associate dean of the Faculty, and William H. Bossert '59. McKay Professor of Applied Mathematics and master of Lowell House, also objected yesterday to the use of the pesticides without sufficient warning.

In April and June, B&G hires a company to spray about 230 elm trees on campus with a combination of malathion and another pesticide. Bernard K. Keohan, acting superintendent of grounds at B&G, said yesterday.

"If there were any question that malathion was harmful, we wouldn't use it," Keohan said, adding that he uses the pesticide in his vegetable garden.

"It might be possible to at least prevent people from jogging" soon after workers spray malathon in the Yard, Whitlock said.

Acknowledging that he may be "a little unnecessarily sensitive." Bossert said malathion kills honeybees. "That's always bothered me," he added.

"It's appropriate for people to know what's being sprayed, and there should be adequate warning," Bossert added.

Munch, Munch

Malathion helps control the elm leaf beetle, which eats elm leaves. Louis F. Wells, a spokesman for the Massachusetts pesticide board said yesterday. He said the chemical is "not highly hazardous," based on the findings of pesticide studies.

Keohan said B&G has used malathion for more than ten years. The pesticide has been used more extensively since the government banned DDI eight years ago, he added