University Offers Krupp Chair To Italian Sociologist Pizzorna After Searching Four Years

By Corcoran H. Byrne

The Corporation has approved the appointment of Alessandro Pizzorno, professor of Sociology at the University of Milan in Italy, as Krupp Professor of European Studies, a tenured position vacant for the past four years.

Pizzorno, an expert in labor politics in western Europe, taught last year at the Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton University, and has taught at Nuffield College, Oxford University.

The selection of a scholar to fill the Krupp chair, endowed in the faculty of Arts and Sciences by the family that led the German armaments industry for nearly a century, has been a source of interdepartmental dispute for the past four years, Faculty sources said yesterday.

Since the Krupp endowment grew large enough to find a tenured chair four years ago, several departments including Sociology, History, and Government have competed for the chair.

Last year Klaus Hildebrand, professor of Modern History at the University of Muenster in Westphalia, the Federal Republic of Germany, turned down an unofficial offer for the chair and three years ago Juan Linz, professor of Sociology at Yale, also turned down an offer.

Hard Labor

Pizzorno has written several books and recently edited a collection of essays about trade unions in western Europe since 1968 called, "Resergence of Class Conflict in Western Societies."

Stanley H. Hoffmann, professor of Government, said yesterday Pizzorno has accepted the position and will probably teach courses in Political Sociology and in labor politics starting next fall.

Hoffmann said Pizzorno's "unique breadth of knowledge in European studies" makes him an "ideal choice for the chair." He added that, "Pizzorno writes in the tradition of Weber and Marx and will be an extremely valuable addition to the University."

Daniel Bell, professor of Sociology, said yesterday both the Center for European Studies and the Sociology department supported Pizzorno's appointment. Bell added that Pizzorno's "historical-theoretical perspective will strengthen the center and the sociology department."

"It's a terrific appointment because Pizzorno is a very prominent and extremely stimulating professor." Peter Lange, associate professor of Government said yesterday. Lange added that Pizzorno's background and writing in social theory "will be his greatest asset to the Sociology department."

Gosta Esping-Andersen, assistant professor of Sociology, said yesterday Pizzorno is "regarded as the most distinguished Italian sociologist and his expertise in industrial sociology will be particularly valuable."