University Ups Voluntary Gifts To Cambridge

Harvard increased voluntary payments to the City of Cambridge by $40,000 this year, bringing the total payment in lieu of taxes to $547,000 in 1979, Michael F. Brewer, assistant vice president for government and community affairs, said this week.

Harvard will pay the city more than $1.4 million this year, including $900,000 in direct taxes the University pays on property voluntarily kept on the tax rolls, Brewer said.

Lewis A. Armistead, officer for community relations, said yesterday meetings earlier this year with city officials had no effect on the University's decision to raise its voluntary payments.

"It just seemed to be an appropriate thing to do at this time," Armistead said.

Cambridge Mayor Thomas W. Danehy said yesterday officials requested a bigger increase, adding that tax-exempt organizations like Harvard and MIT should give the city a little more than they already do.

Rudolph R. Russo, Cambridge tax assessor, said yesterday Harvard is not increasing its payments in lieu of taxes because of recent University purchases of land in the city.

"We're very happy to receive any kind of money that's an increase over last year," Russo said.

City Councilor Mary Ellen Preusser said yesterday the increase "is not commensurate with the city's need," adding that she thinks the University's recent acquisition of "non-educational buildings" prompted the rise.