Harvard Police Warn Students About Crime

By Alexandra D. Korry

With a 53 per cent reported rise in crime in the Cambridge area, University police said last week they are taking precautions to cut down on potential crime this summer.

Saul L. Chafin, chief of University police, said yesterday he met with proctors last week to ask them to alert summer school students about the possibility of trespassers and the dangers of walking alone on the thoroughfares along Mass. Ave.

Chafin added the University police wanted to avoid a repeat of last year, when several Summer School students were assaulted on Harvard's bordering property.

Capt. Jack C. Morse of the University police last week cautioned that pursesnatchings and assaults occur more often during the summer because more people are outdoors and some students may be more accustomed to rural, safer areas.

Big Enough

Though the crime rate for the first three months of the year rose for the city of Cambridge, University police reported last month that crime has probably stayed about the same on Harvard porperty. The police are unable to publish exact figures because their crime statistics computer broke down.

Chafin yesterday encouraged summer school students to "be aware" of their surroundings and to report questionable activities to the police located in the basement of Grays Hall. He added the students should walk in groups or pairs at night along the lighted pathways where emergency phones are located-including outside Holworthy, Matthews and Thayer Halls.

Sgt. Harold F. Murphy of the Cambridge police said last week,"the biggest summer complaint is loud parties and groups of kids on street corners, and peeping toms."