CCA Backs Liberal Slate In Election

By William E. McKibben

The Cambridge Civic Association (CCA), the city's liberal party, last week backed six candidates vying for city council seats and four running for the school committee in the upcoming municipal elections.

Strong Backing

Four incumbents, Francis Duehay '55, Mary Ellen Preusser, David Wylie and Saundra Graham, received endorsements by large margins. The convention also voted strongly in favor of endorsing challenger David Sullivan, but another challenger, Alvin Thompson, barely squeaked onto the ticket.

Henrietta Attles, Sara Mae Berman, Glenn Koocher and Alice Wolf won the convention's endorsement for school committee.

The CCA each election year endorses a slate of candidates who agree to run on the same platform and support the same candidates for mayor and school superintendent. Currently, civic association members hold four of the nine city council slots, and control three of the seven school committee seats.

"The drive is on to get a majority in both places," Elaine Kistiakowsky, the president of the CCA, said.

"The gains we have made will start to disappear if we don't get the fifth seat," City Councilor and state legislator Graham told the crowd, which gathered in the elegant cafeteria of the city's newly refurbished high school to pick the slate.

Let's Make A Deal

"Please don't force us to make deals to get the majorities we must have," Koocher added. He said that the three liberal school committee members had bargained with independent Donald Fantini to gain support on crucial votes.

The CCA platform, approved on a voice vote, called for a continuation of rent control and recommended careful city monitoring of the Red Line extension.

Funding for human services, the encouragement of long-term development in the city, and full support of affirmative action were also mandated in the platform.