Harvard Administrators Say Energy Costs Will Soon Soar

By J. WYATT Emmerich

Harvard administrators yesterday said the University's energy costs will soar in the near future, but they cautiously predicted there will be enough heating oil available to cover the needs for the up-coming winter.

Increases in energy costs are leading the University to expand efforts to conserve energy, particularly with a system of controlling the temperature inside Harvard buildings.

The Department of Buildings and Grounds is programming an experimental computerized system that makes indoor temperature control units more sensitive to outdoor changes in weather.

The system, when fully developed, will measure wind velocity, temperature and humidity to determine the minimum amount of heating and cooling necessary for each building, cutting down on waste.

The University is also slowing and occasionally turning off the fans that circulate heated and cooled air in buildings. New state health regulations lower the amount of required ventilation in buildings, administrators said.

By decreasing the amount of ventilation, costs of cooling William James Hall will drop by about $2000 a month, Eugene J. Arcand Jr., assistant director for facilities, said yesterday. Energy costs for the Science Center will probably drop even more than that, Arcand added.

Since spring, University cooling systems were adjusted not to turn on until the outside temperature reached 75 degrees in buildings with open windows, and 70 degrees inclosed buildings. This requirement excludes facilities with computers and laboratories, which often require lower temperatures.

In the dormitories, the University is shutting off hot water at night, putting "restricters" on showers to limit the amount of water used, and watching water temperatures more closely, Norman Goodwin Jr., manager of utilities, said yesterday. said in an interview in The Black Panther.

"We call these survival programs because these are things that can help poor people survive until the major changes that this country needs occur," Abron said. "Our programs are models that people in the rest of the country have followed," she added.

Abron said Black Panther Party members do not mind working with a former Harvard professor. "There's no problem--he's a very beautiful person. We in the party accept people for whatever they are," she said.

She added that the party would benefit from the contributions of a scientist. "We want to develop a lot of positions and perspectives on the field of social biology," she said.

"At Harvard, I dealt with a lot of light and middleweight minds. It is a pleasure to come into contact with a real heavyweight mind, such as that of Huey, a man who has a great deal of genuine warmth and love for people and a very deep commitment to justice." Trivers said in the same interview