Women Booters Belittle Jumbos, 4-0

Four Crimson Players Notch Goals

By Nell Scovell

The Harvard women's soccer team showed no mercy when they stomped over Tufts, 4-0, yesterday at Soldiers Field.

Reaping the benefits of their preseason labors, the well-conditioned Crimson booters proved much stronger than Tufts as Harvard netted the ball three times in the final 17 minutes of the game.

Not only did the Harvard forwards show exceptional ball control--outshooting the Jumbos 37-1--they also displayed depth as four different players scored and the second string forward line notched as many points as the starters.

Sue St. Louis, Harvard's high-scorer for the past two seasons, tallied her first goal of the year when she lofted a pass from Gia Johnson into the right-hand corner of the net with 12 minutes left to play in the first half.

Although the Harvard squad totally dominated in the first 45 minutes of play, they really turned it on in the second half.

Julie Brynteson led the elephant massacre when she rebounded a St. Louis shot past the goalie at 27:37.

Put It In

With Harvard up by two goals, coach Bob Scalise put in the second string forwards--Marcia Hamelin, Kelly Gately, freshman Ellen Jakovic and Cecile Scoon--who were not content to let the Jumbos forget that Harvard was the league champion last year.

At 37:45, senior Hamelin streaked down the left-hand side of the field, beating out a Tufts player and centering a lovely pass to Gately who in turn shot it in the air for Harvard's third point.

About three minutes later, Hamelin added a goal to her assist by seizing the opportunity to fill a wide open net after Tufts goalie Anne Forbes bobbled a shot from Scoon outside the crease.

"We felt a little lethargic at the beginning," co-captain Ellen Hart said after the game. "The second line was really energized in the second half and did a great job."

Neither Harvard's first half goalie Wendy Carle or second half goalie Barb Mahon saw much action on their way to sharing their second shutout in as many games.

The defense as a whole had a relatively easy work out with Sally Kingsbury coming up with some well-timed and well-placed clears.

"Our defense is so solid, it gives you a secure feeling when you play in the forward line," Hart said yesterday.

While St. Louis said she did not think the team played particularly well, she added "it's nice to be able to beat another team even when you're playing poorly."

Harvard 4, Tufts 0 at Soldiers Field

Scoring Summary:

Harvard 1 3--4

Tufts 0 0--0

First half:

H--Sue St. Louis pass from Gia Johnson (33:23)

Second half:

H--July Brynteston from St. Louis (27:37)

H--Kelly Gately from Marcia Hamelin (37:45)

H--Hamelin from Cecile Scoon (40:53)