Computer Students Swarm Terminals

Annual Winter Reading Period Ritual

Some things never change.

Despite new terminals in Leverett and Currier Houses and an additional new computer enabling Natural Sciences 110, "Automatic Computing," to have a machine of its own, the 700 Harward students in Harvard's second largest class are once again spending reading period scrambling for computer time.

"It's going to be a disaster between now and Monday," the deadline for the course's final project, Bertt L. Tomlinson '82, a Nat Sci 110 section leader, said yesterday. Students must sign up at least a day in advance for the single hour of computer time that they are allowed each day. As the lists fill rapidly they often must settle for late night appointments to use the terminal.

"There are so many people desperate for time now that everything's completely jammed up," James S. Campbell '83, said yesterday as he waited to work on his project.

"You can't get on unless you've signed up way ahead, though a few spaces open up about five or six in the morning until eight, when they're again full," he added.

Students also complain that in addition to the overcrowding they must contend with periodic computer "crashes" when the machine stops functioning for a few minutes, a strict deadline, broken or berserk terminals, and the efforts of fellow students to use more than their daily share of computer time.

"Lots of people cheat by signing all their friends up for computer time and then using those hours, too, to work on their project," one student who wished not to be identified said yesterday. "I do that--it's the only way I'll ever get my project done," she added.

Section leaders and students alike agree that most of the problems stems from students' tendencies to wait until reading period to work on their projects.

"I'm really paying for having put it off until now since I guess that's what everyone does, and now it's really hard to get computer time." Kevin Porter '82 said yesterday.

Several section leaders say that there has been a great effort this year to warn students of term-end overcrowding.

"We warned everybody, but they don't take us very seriously, "said Jim R. Larus '80, head section leader for the course, said yesterday. "The final assignments are given out at the end of November so there's plenty of time,"he said, adding that "the final deadline for submitting computer projects can't be extended since we have undergraduates reading them and we can't really ask them to do that in any less time."

The section leaders also agree that the computer time shortage has been less severe this year than in the past