Harvard Theologian Buttrick Dies in Louisville at Age 87

George A. Buttrick, Plummer Professor of Christian Morals Emeritus, died last week in Louisville, Ky. He was 87 years old.

Buttrick was pastor of the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church in New York City when former President Pusey invited the noted theologian to become minister at Memorial Church. He preached and taught at Harvard from 1955 until his retirement in 1960.

During his pastorate the church school was begun and women were allowed to worship in Appleton Chapel.

Attracting such a well-known preacher as Buttrick to Harvard was part of Pusey's efforts to revive religious life at Harvard, Peter J. Gomes, Plummer Professor of Christian Morals, said yesterday. "Never before and never since has there been anything like a Buttrick Sunday," Gomes added.

Buttrick edited the 12-volume "Interpreter's Bible" and the "Interpreter's Dictionary" and wrote numerous theological works.

He was born at Seaham Harbour, England, in 1892, and attended seminary in Britain. He was only 34 years old when he was asked to be pastor of the Madison Ave. church, one of the largest Presbyterian congregations in the country.

Buttrick is survived by his wife, three sons, seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Pusey, David H.C. Read, and Amos N. Wilder, Hollis Professor of Divinity Emeritus, will speak at a memorial service for Buttrick on February 13 at 3 p.m. in Memorial Church.