Ruggers Edge Princeton, 9-6, Gain Fourth Straight in Rain

After the Harvard rugby club's toughest game of the season, a physical 9-6 triumph over Princeton in Saturday morning's rain at Soldiers Field, number eight man Ed Montegomery cheered, "That's integrity, Harvard, that's really character."

It was, indeed, a praiseworthy effort. Fighting fatigue, injuries, the weather, and a talented Princeton squad, the Crimson dug in deep after the Tigers tied the score at six with 20 minutes remaining and pulled off the victory on aggressiveness and determination.

With seven minutes remaining, Charles Bott broke away from the pack after a lineout at midfield, and sore-kneed fly half Dave Miller's drop-kick from 20 yds. out just cleared the crossbar for the margin of victory. Princeton pressed, but a heads up play from scrum half Keith Oberg, who quick-kicked the ball out of the Crimson end in the final moments, saved the victory.

The foul weather controlled most of the play as the slick ball handling and treacherous footing restricted the open play and resulted in a lack of tries, rugby's equivalent of a touchdown. The Crimson scored the only points in the first half on a 15-yard Bott penalty kick from the right side, after a Tiger attempted to play the ball after being tackled.

Princeton came out storming in the second half, but heavy rains dampened its efforts. Although the visitors forced a Harvard touchback, they managed only to knot the score at three with a Souren Ala 35-yard drop-kick. Moments later, Bott powered a 45-yd. kick through the uprights to regain the lead.

But Ala would not be outdone, answering back with a penalty kick, following a Harvard offsides with 20 minutes remaining.

THE NOTEBOOK: The ruggers showed their depth in winning their fourth straight. Injured regulars Bo Wilsterman, Mike Fortunata, Ed Thompkins, and Kip McKenzie watched their replacements perform admirably from the sidelines. The quartet should return for next week's contest against arch-rival Dartmouth.