Bok Presented With Demands As Over 200 Protest Report

By Laurence S. Grafstein

More than 200 students, angered by a controversial preliminary report on Harvard admissions, rallied in the Yard yesterday afternoon, and protest leaders threatened an occupation of Massachusetts Hall unless President Bok "immediately" agrees to a set of eight demands.

The rally--prompted by a Bok-requested preliminary report which suggests that high test scores often overpredict the academic performance of Black and women students--included an unexpected march through University Hall after speeches on the steps of Memorial Church.

After marching through the Yard and onto Mass Ave, the demonstrators encircled Massachusetts Hall and heard rally leaders read the list of demands. The demands include calls for a stronger University commitment to affirmative action and a public disavowal of the report, prepared by Robert E. Klitgaard '68, special assistant to Bok.

Protest leaders--who did not specify a deadline for a response from Bok--said the demonstration represented a "warning," adding that further actions would follow if the demands are not met.

"Next time--and there will be a next time unless our demands are met--we're going to take this building," Steven Brusch of the Black Law Students Association (BLSA), and a second-year Law student, told the protesters in front of Massachusetts Hall.

Lydia P. Jackson '82, president of the Black Students Association (BSA) and other Third World group leaders, said the demands must be met "immediately." Jackson added that she expected to hear from Bok by the end of the week.

Bok, who in a letter published in yesterday's Crimson urged "the Harvard community not to place any weight on" published quotations from the report, last night declined to comment on the rally and demands.

In his letter, dated Monday, Bok said he "did not ask Mr. Klitgaard to investigate the abilities or performance of particular groups of students--either by sex, race, or religion." The BLSA late last week demanded that Bok hand over documents explaining the purpose of the report.

Bok also said he "was truly sorry about any hurt that has resulted from this unhappy episode," noted that the study was only an incomplete draft, and said he commissioned the report as part of an overall review of admissions policies. He stated that he "continues firmly to support" affirmative action.

Bok--as well as Klitgaard--earlier this month stressed that the preliminary report, which Klitgaard called an outline, represented only Klitgaard's views and not University policy.

Third World student group leaders, noting the publicity the report has received, called Bok's letter insufficient. Jackson said minority students "will not tolerate Bok continuing to address the issue as he did in the letter. No matter how sorry he is, the damage is done, and the lives of minorities have been dramatically affected. He can't sweep it under the rug."

Jane Bock '81, president of the Asian American Students Association, termed Bok's letter "very inadequate," saying, "It's not a matter of individual hurt or insecurity, but a matter of institutional responsibility."

The Third World groups are demanding:

* an increase in Third World and women faculty, administrators, students and staff to reach a level "reflecting their national populations," and the establishment of a committee "to monitor the University's affirmative action policies";

* an increase in "the funding and scope" of Third World and women recruitment programs "in all sectors of the University";

* allowing Third World and women students to serve on admissions and selection committees "in all sectors of the University";

* establishing a "centrally-located, University-financed, student-controlled" Third World center;

* a public statement from Bok "denouncing" the report as "undermin[ing]" affirmative action and "reaffirming" Harvard's commitment to affirmative action;

* a public statement from Faculty members "assessing" the Klitgaard report's academic merit;

* a "public retraction" by Klitgaard of his recommendations and "termination of the study"; and,

* a public statement from University deans and admissions officials "denouncing" Klitgaard's report as "contrary" to their admissions findings and affirmative action policies.

Selwyn R. Cudjoe, assistant professor of Afro-American Studies, addressing the rally--which included members of all Third World organizations in the University--in front of Massachusetts Hall, labelled Harvard "a racist institution" and then responded to a heckler by saying, "The function of a racist institution is to train people like you."

"We are returning to the days of the '60s," Cudjoe said in front of the crowd. Afterwards, Cudjoe, who was recently denied promotion, said that if Bok does not respond soon to the demands, "physical violence is imminent."

The protesters did not attempt to occupy University Hall. Instead, in a move planned by rally organizers, they filed through while chanting, "The people united will never be defeated." An unidentified official who attempted to bar the entrance was brushed aside. Doors to the building, normally open, were locked after the protesters left.

Under a steady drizzle, the demonstrators then continued to Mass Ave, backing up traffic for three blocks. When they settled in front of Massachusetts Hall, the students chanted outside the window of Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, as he sat in his office.

Steiner said yesterday Bok was aware of the rally, but was "out to lunch" while the protest proceeded. Steiner declined comment on the demands.

Third World students said they will protest at a debate tonight on affirmative action between Albert M. Sacks, dean of the Law School, and Nancy R. Randalph, special assistant to Bok