Football Notebook

The injury report is encouraging for a change. The point-starved Crimson--two touchdowns in its last 13 quarters of play--may be getting its number one quarterback back for Saturday's game against Brown at Harvard Stadium.

"I think Brian's going to get stronger and stronger," coach Joe Restic said yesterday. "He's going to be ready if he keeps going this way."

If Buckley does return, the slumping Crimson's (4-2, 2-2 Ivy) must-win contest Saturday looks much more promising. With Buckley, Harvard raced to three straight victories, including the 15-10 upset of Army, an outing that earned Buckley ECAC Player of the Week honors. Since his departure with damaged knee cartilage, the Crimson passing offense held together for a 20-12 victory over Cornell, then disappeared in consecutive losses to Dartmouth (30-12) and Princeton (7-3).

Sophomore Ron Cuccia, the flashy flanker and occasional quarterback, may play Saturday, but his pulled hamstring has not healed quickly. He remains questionable.

If Buckley can't play, Restic says, the quarterback job will belong to junior Mark Marion, who started against Princeton, or "possibly Allard."

"Allard" is Don Allard, the sophomore who came into the Princeton game with 3:21 left and proceeded to lead Harvard close to a winning touchdown. Close--as in no cigar.

Jim Callinan, the fullback who raced for a personal high of 100 yds. at Princeton, is bruised but ready to go.