Ec, Computer Draw Biggest Crowds

Two New Core Courses Make Top 10

Social Analysis 10, "Principles of Economics," again heads the list of the fall's most popular courses with 1071 students, breaking its own record as the largest Harvard Course.

"People really feel society's problems are economic, and Social Analysis 10 is the course that tries to add an understanding of these problems," Otto Eckstein, Warburg Professor of Economics, said yesterday.

Aside from its relevance to today's society, Eckstein said, the course is also popular because many students see it as useful for law or business careers. In addition, the course's emphasis on teaching attracts many students, he said, citing its orientation program for new section leaders every fall and its special sections for mathematical, "radical" or self-paced approaches, Eckstein said.

Natural Sciences 110, "Automatic Computing," retained its second-place position, with 773 students enrolled. Although enrollment is up by 56 from last years, William H. Bossert '59, McKay Professor of Applied Mathematics, said yesterday he does not anticipate a repeat of last year's difficulties with overcrowded terminals. Last spring, the University expanded undergraduate computing facilities to twice their original size.

"Any student who does not put off the term project untill Christmas vacation should have no problem," he said, adding that he is requiring and early first draft of each project.

Viable

The course is especially attractive to non-natural science concentrators looking for "more viable career choices" than those offered in humanities or social sciences, Bossert said. Because it was not included in the Core Curriculum, it will appear next year as an Applied Sciences offering, which may discourage non-concentrators, he added.

Chemistry 20a, "Organic Chemistry 3" rated third, enrolled 51 students more than last year to pass Astronomy 8, "Cosmic Evolution." The "vast majority" of the Chemistry class is pre-med, David Dolphin, visiting professor in Chemistry, said yesterday.

Other courses that have remained popular are Astronomy 8 with 422 students; Mathematics la, "Introduction to the Calculus," with 410; and Fine Arts 13, a full-year survey course of Western art, with 386.

Enrollment in Chemistry 5a, formerly Natural Sciences 3, fell to 347 from last year's 360. Roy G. Gordon, professor of Chemistry, said yesterday he has revised the course, gearing it more towards possible concentrators than the original "catch-all" General Education course.

Newscomers to the top-ten list are Folklore and Mythology 107, "Literature of the Fantastic"; Literature and Arts C-16, "Periciean Athens"; and Science B-15, "Envolutionary Biology."

Folklore and Mythology 107 is designed "to ease the pains of withdrawal from Humanities 9," which was discontinued this year, Hugh M. Flick Jr. '68, an instructor in the course, said yesterday.

Flick attributed his course's popularity partly to the "fun literature" on the reading list, which includes "Gulliver's Travels" and "Alice in Wonderland."

"Evolutionary Biology," with an enrollment of 311, had more than 400 applicants this year, Edmund O. Wilson, Baird Jr. Professor of Science, said yesterday. He said the high enrollment may have been prompted by a shortage in Core science courses.

Otto T. Solbrig, chairman of the Core Science subcommittee, disagreed yesterday, nothing that more Core science courses are being offered this year than last.

The three newcomers to the list fill spots left vacant by last year's popular Social Sciences 33, "Moral and Social Inquiry,"; Music 1, "Survey of Western Music"; and Government 30, "Introduction to American Government." The latter two will be offered in the spring this year