When, Where, Who, What

Saturday--1 p.m.--Small ships, like those the original settlers would have used, will said up the Charles to re-enact the city's founding. A procession to Winthrop Square for speeches and ceremonies will follow. People to watch include Gov. Edward J. King, Lt. Gov. Thomas P. O'Neill III (incidentally, Gov. John Winthrop used to quarrel with his lieutenant, Deputy Governor Dudley) and Mayor Francis H. Duehay '55 who will speak on current issues in local government.

Saturday--8:30 p.m.--If the prayers of the city's 350 Committee come true, it will be a clear and dark night. If so, fireworks will begin on the banks of the Charles at Harvard Square. If it's raining, Sunday is the rain date. People to watch include George Plimpton, New York's honorary fireworks marshal. And bring a transistor radio turned to WBZ AM 1030 for music as the sky lights up.

Sunday--1 p.m.--The grand parade, a three-hour extravaganza of music, floats and marching units--not to mention politicians--will step off from Lechmere Square. The prade will wind up Cambridge St., take a left on Prospect St., and then a right on Mass Ave. The units will follow Mass Ave until they veer off on Mt. Auburn St. towards Winthrop Square and the edge of the river. The dignitaries in the lineup--including Rep. Thomas P. O'Neill Jr.--will march in the first wave.