Rape Protest To Proceed Without Funds

An anti-rape rally planned for November 8 will go on as scheduled despite President Horner's refusal Monday to fund the march, rally organizers said yesterday.

"I don't know where we'll get funding, but the rally is definitely on," Peggy Mason '82, chairman of the Harvard "Take Back the Night" committee, said yesterday. Mason added that she and the five other members of the committee will meet today with Archie Epps III, dean of students, to discuss the rally.

"Take Back the Night" has been a common theme for anti-rape rallies across the country for the past three years, Mason said. "The demonstration is designed to show the strength of organized women in combatting rape," she added.

Last Monday, President Horner denied the committee's request for funds to publicize the rally. At that time Horner said she didn't think the march "solves the problem."

"After talking to Radcliffe officials, I think they would be willing to fund and support measures that directly improve the security of women on campus," Deborah A. Helfant '81-3, a committee member said yesterday.