THE BUS BOYS

the end, we asked for the sky and we got it. We have complete creative control over every aspect of our careers, from our manager to the album graphics."

One of the most inviting prospects to both brothers of the potential impact of the BusBoys-is not so much their influence on white audiences as on black. "We don't expect to be readily accepted by black listeners," Brian admits. "But a lot of black musicians who we really respect--Maurice White, Patrice Rushen, Stevie Wonder, who's supported us for a long time -- are completely enthused about what we're doing."

The O'Neil brothers protests to the contrary, the BusBoys do stand for a new freedom for popular music. Any band that dissembles creative barriers as forcefully, funnily and finally as the BusBoys is bound to act as a catalyst for all manner of musical cross-fertilization.

"When we first started playing rock, it was a sea of white faces watching us," recalls Brian; "then, slowly, blacks started coming out of the woodwork. We know there are more black rock and roll groups out there."

Who knows? We may soon be seeing a quintet of white guys in tuxedos, singing five-part harmonies and executing some intricate steps. Stranger things have already happened ...