Yes

CAPITAL CENTRE, WASHINGTON, DC

By John Krout

A new Yes set the crowd afire in the Capital Centre on this breezy evening. Rick Wakeman and John Anderson are out; Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn, respectively, replace them.

Horn is the new vocalist, quite a challenge in the wake of Anderson's high tenor and the band's ten-year reliance on his voice. Horn can't hit Anderson's heights, but his range is impressive, especially in the songs from Drama, the latest Yes release.

Geoff Downes brought texture to the keyboard station at the expense of Wakeman's flash and fun. Downes' solo was a medley of "Man in a White Car," from Drama, and the Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star," which drew absolutely no recognition from the audience. Perhaps Downes didn't realize the difference between FM and AM tunes in this country. Perhaps the audience didn't realize that Horn and Downes were the Buggles.

There was considerable ego space left onstage for Howe and Squire, and use it they did. Both show signs of age, Howe is working on a bald spot, and Squire has added quite a few pounds. They put ten years of partnership experience to work, and Yes burned.

The balance of power has shifted, but Yes still fans the flames.