B.U. Drowns Aquawomen In Opener

Frick, McCloskey Post New Records

By Caroline R. Adams

A shaved, tapered and skinsuited B.U. flotilla last night drowned the Harvard aquawomen in convincing fashion, 86-49, in the season opener at the Faneuil Aquatic Center.

Wearing suits that looked like they had been spray-painted on, the B.U. swimmers powered their way to 12 first-place finishes as compared to a scanty three firsts produced by the Crimson.

The evening also saw a B.U. assault on the record books with freshmen Barb Sumner and Sue Kitchen, and junior Shawn McCluskey, blazing the path towards five new team and pool records.

Harvard sophomore Maureen Gildea last year's Ivy champ in the mile who is presently sidelined with a knee injury, could only look on helplessly as Sumner splashed her way to a new New England record in the 1000-yard Free--three seconds below Gildea's 10:20.00 mark set last year.

The evening, however, was not devoid of excellent Crimson performances. Sophomores Terri Frick and Kathleen McCloskey each copped new pool records. Frick establishing a new mark in the 200-yard Butterfly in a brisk 2:11.72, and then winning the 400 Individual Medley in 4:47.66--just three-tenths of a second shy of a new record.

In the 100-yard Butterfly McCloskey held off an early challenge from Frick to take the race and the record with a time of 59.88--a feat all the more impressive considering that both swimmers had just finished the grueling 400 I.M. minutes before.

Other good Harvard swims were turned in by freshman Jeanne Floyd and sophomores Gwen Knapp and Kathy Davis. Floyd garnered second in the 1000 Free and third in the 200-yard Free, as well as leading off the second-place finish in the 800-yard Free Relay.

Knapp, presaging a greatly-improved breaststroke corps, took second in the 200 Breast and third in the 100 Breast, while Davis managed three thirds in the 200-yard Backstroke, 200-yard Breast, and 1000 Free.

The 1-meter and 3-meter diving events were both won by PanAmerican Games medalist Veronica Ribot for B.U., with Crimson junior Pam Stone taking second in the 3-meter and third in the 1-meter. Crimson sophomore Adriana Holy finished second in the 1-meter by a paltry three points.