CHUL Reconsiders Poster Regulations

By Alan Cooperman

The Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) voted last night to allow students to place posters on brick gates in the Yard, and then reversed its decision after Dean Fox said the change "would probably prevent" administrators from implementing four student proposals the committee had approved earlier in the meeting.

Following the stormy conclusion of the meeting, student CHUL members accused Fox of "duplicity" and "blackmail."

"It just shows how the administration can get its way no matter what," Michael K. Fridkin, chairman of the CHUL student caucus, said, adding, "I felt totally impotent and frustrated--I was ready to walk out."

CHUL began its consideration of the poster regulations with a report by Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, who said he had agreed last week with four student proposals to improve communication on campus.

The proposals include publishing a weekly newsletter of student activities, improving maintenance of the kiosks in the Yard, installing at least three glass-enclosed bulletin boards for student use, and establishing a free poster distribution service.

Epps told CHUL that "we have a commitment of $5000" to pay for the newsletter for one year and added that he would proceed with all four proposals.

Caution

CHUL then considered three proposed changes in current regulations prohibiting placement of posters except on official bulletin boards and kiosks.

The committee voted 23-1 to approve the first change, which states that only the full CHUL--not the dean's office--has authority to fine student organizations for violating the poster rules.

The second change--allowing students to place posters on the brick gates to the Yard near the Science Center, Lamont Library and Widener library--received approval by a vote of 13-11 with two abstentions.

The committee rejected the third change, which would have allowed free postering in the vicinity of the upperclass Houses, by a vote of 15-5 with four abstentions.

After the voting, Fox reminded the committee that its status is only advisory. "I'm not at all sure we're prepared to make extra expenditures" for a student newsletter and also allow postering on gates to the Yard, he added.

"Dean Epps has agreed to a set of proposals in lieu of postering on buildings and fences--it's an either/or situation," Fox said.

CHUL then reversed its decision to allow postering on gates to the Yard by a vote of 11-6 with four abstentions.

"We had no choice but to reverse our first vote," Michael G. Colantuono, '83, a student member of CHUL, said after the meeting, adding "The administration pulled the rug out from under us. We had to accept what they gave us or get nothing at all."

Alan M. Zukerman '81, a CHUL delegate from Dunster House, said he was "disillusioned by the administration's behavior" in the meeting. "It was childish for Dean Fox to withdraw all the proposals that had just been made simply because a vote didn't go the way he wanted," he added.

Fox pulled a really low trick," Benjamin H. Schatz '81, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Gay Students Association and a representative of the Student Assembly at the meeting, added, saying, "He got nasty as soon as he didn't get his way.