Student Leaders Forecast Reagan Win

Say Anderson Will Carry Harvard Vote

Democratic and Republican student leaders agreed yesterday that independent candidate John B. Anderson will take the greater part of the Harvard student vote in today's presidential election, but most predicted that Ronald Reagan will win the overall contest.

Bruce S. Ives '82, who has worked for Anderson here, predicted yesterday "there will be a pretty good turnout at Harvard for Anderson, and a good turnout for Carter."

But Third World and feminist leaders here, however, said yesterday that Anderson probably will not win a plurality of Harvard votes. Tanya M. Luhrmann '80-1, a member of the Feminist Alliance said yesterday. "I think they'll vote pretty much for Carter. I don't think they're going to vote for Anderson because they are too afraid of Reagan."

A poll last month of Ivy League students showed 40 per cent of students here support Anderson, 35.5 per cent favor Carter, and 13.1 will vote for Reagan."

Among Harvard supporters of Anderson, 61 per cent would vote for Carter if Anderson were not in the race, according to the poll.

David S. Solomon, '81 Anderson's Massachusetts state coordinator said yesterday, "I hope Harvard decides to vote with its conscience and not with fear." Nina J. Gardner '82, president of the Democatic Club and a Carter supporter said yesterday, "I think the national election will go to Reagan, so I'm not too happy."

Several student leaders yesterday predicted a Reagan landslide, while others forecast a close race. But Jerome S. Fortinsky '83, chairman of Harvard-Radcliffe Students for Anderson, said yesterday he expects "a last minute surge toward Anderson."

Encourage by the standing of his party's candidate in the latest polls, Michael T. Kerr '81, President of the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Club, said yesterday, "Reagan is a good alternative to Carter, and, as far as war and peace is concerned, I think people are less scared than they used to be."