Carter, Anderson Concede to Reagan

Anderson Defers

By Thomas Hines, Special to The Crimson

WASHINGTON--Calling his defeat a "decision deferred," Independent presidential candidate Rep. John B. Anderson (R-I11.) brought his 1980 campaign to a close last night amid much speculation about the National Unity Committee's political and financial future.

Although the candidate was insistently enigmatic about his future plans, Anderson's pledge to continue his attempt to "wake up America" brought enthusiastic chants of "1984" from his supporters gathered here at the Hyatt Hotel.

Quiet

Anderson's supporters comprised a curious adjunct to the presidential sweepstakes. Quietly eyeing large video screens, the Anderson crowd was unenthusiastic when it became obvious early in the evening that the "Anderson difference"--a difference which had simply not taken hold during the presidential season--would make little or no difference in the election at large.

As state after state came in for Reagan, speculation over whether Anderson's course would result in the much-feared spoiler effect turned instead to the question of whether he would garner enough votes to qualify for federal matching funds.

Anderson needed at least 5 per cent of the popular vote to qualify for federal funds--stipends based on a sliding scale. Chief counsel Mitchell Rogovin estimated that at least 8 per cent of the popular vote would be needed to offset Anderson's campaign debt of nearly $5 million.

Spirits

Declaring that his campaign had been the "renaissance of his life." Anderson was in tremendous spirits as he addressed the independent crowd, promising support for President-elect Ronald Reagan, though vowing never to end his goal of bringing a "new realism" to American politics.

But neither Anderson nor any member of his staff would specify just what form the candidate's continuing efforts might take.

Rogovin said that the next few months would be a time for "reflection and reassessment" rather than any hard and fast plan for the third party movement