Frank, Bachrach Win in Local Races

Frank Victorious

By L. JOSEPH Garcia

Although he held a majority of the votes cast all last night in the 4th Congressional district, Democrat Barney Frank '61 waited until 2 a.m. to claim victory over his Republican opponent Dr. Richard Jones in the race for the seat vacated by Fr. Robert Drinan earlier this year.

Although Frank was leading by more than 10 per cent with half of the vote tallied, he refused to appear at his victory party at the Marriot Hotel in Newton until the results from the western cities in the district were received.

His top aides were especially waiting for results from Gardner and Framingham, where some of the ballots had to be counted by hand.

Icing

The results from heavily-populated Framingham showed Frank nearly even with Jones, insuring his victory.

A crowd of 500 supporters dwindled as the morning hours rolled around. Earlier in the evening, a band played for the group as they huddled around the television sets placed around the large room. Nearly half left as Frank waited for the results from Framingham.

For the obviously partisan Democratic crowd, Frank's victory was dampened by the national results.

Although Frank led by more than 10,000 votes throughout the evening, his supporters were subdued. They sighed as Ronald Reagan took the early lead in the electoral vote totals and cheered President Carter when he appeared to concede the race.

Thalea Schlesinger, Frank's press secretary, said at midnight, "We did poorly where we expected to do poorly, and did well where we expected to do well," adding, "It was just as close as we expected."