Archaeologists May Dig Site in Square

Harvard Group Proposes Excavation During MBTA Construction

By Philippe L. Browning

Harvard's Institute for Conservation Archaeology (ICA) will excavate a site under the Harvard Square subway entrance when construction begins there, if the state archaeologist at the Massachusetts Historical Commission approves the proposal for the dig.

The subway kiosk rests on the remains of an early 18th-century meeting house that was converted to a dumping ground when fire destroyed it in the 1830s. Artifacts from the dump site may be important because they could reveal the socio-economic backgrounds of local inhabitants, Russell Barber, the research director for the ICA, said last week.

Trinkets

"If we find artifacts such as ink wells, silver buckles, expensive clothing or fine beer glasses typical of Harvard students from that time, then the dig will be of little import," Barber said, adding, "What we hope to find are artifacts that will point to the life styles of others who lived around the Square."

The dig will begin only if Valerie Talmege, state archaeologist, considers the site to be archaeologically valuable. Rubbish trucked in from other areas to the dump site may cause problems in determining the origins of artifacts from the site. Talmege said last week, adding that this could be a reason for her not to approve the dig.

"However, after some preliminary work, if it turns out that there is valuable research potential, I will discuss the project with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority [MBTA]," she added.

Under Foot

Construction for the Red Line extension is scheduled to begin in that area of the Square by January 1. The ICA hopes to work on the site once the pavement in that area has been removed. "If we can work while construction continues in other areas of expansion, we will not impede progress of the project." Barber said, adding that the length of the dig will be determined by the success of preliminary excavation.

The excavation will not be the first that the ICA has done in the area. When Red Line construction began near the Yard in September 1978, ICA archaeologists accidentally discovered artifacts that had been unearthed by MBTA shovels. After conferring with the Massachusetts Historical Commission, the MBTA allowed time for an extensive dig near Wadsworth House.

Odds and Ends

Archaeologists found about 4000 artifacts, some dating as far back as 1650, at the Wadsworth House site and at another site between Harvard and Massachusetts halls.

The ICA is actively working on sites all over the country, Barber said, adding that in the Boston area the ICA is researching the potential for valuable dig sites where the central artery highway project is underway. "We feel that there may be some artifacts of interest where the highway is being built into Chelsea," Barber said. "If it turns out that the area is one worth excavating, we will request permission for the project."